INTEGRAL HOUSE TORONTO 2009
ARCHITECT : Shim Sutcliffe Architects Inc.
CONSTRUCTION AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT : Vic Furgiuele, for Eisner Murray Developments Inc.
AREA : 18,000 sf
PHOTOGRAPHY : James Dow, Ed Burtynsky and Bob Gundu
"With the indefatigable Vic Furgiuele as construction manager." ~ Ian Chodikoff
"For Shim and Sutcliffe, the process of building such a residence offers an opportunity to push the envelope of their abilities, to experiment with construction and collaborative techniques while pursuing excellence in design." ~ Ian Chodikoff
- ravine site new build of private residence/concert space
- extensive shoring was performed to take full advantage of and protect the ravine edge
- laser cut steel and wood templates were made and installed to locate the building components and ensure precision throughout
- 35-foot-long floor-to-ceiling glass window that retracts into the floor
- sustainable elements include geothermal cooling and heat source, extensive green roofs
2009 Architectural Woodwork Award (First Place)
Architectural Record. May 2010 Volume 198, No.5. A Surround Sound, Pearson Clifford, p 67-71